Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Disc Brake Bolt-On???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
We're talking about removing the brake drum from the hub itself, which is little more than grinding off the rivets that hold the drum on the hub and using the original hub with original bearings to support the Cadillac/Oldsmobile brake rotor. This is the way I plan on going on my '37 chassis.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 23:43
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ah.... I understand what you guys are saying now. So you would still need to fabricate a bracket to mount the caliper to, which would mount to the axle housing and hold the axle, outer seal, and axle bearing in place.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 1:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hence my need for a buddy with a plasma cutter, which I finally have. I just need to know how thick the metal is the brackets are made of.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 1:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As for the rears, you can cut the backing plate to keep the bearing and seal retainer. Then put the caliper bracket on either the front side or back side of the tube flange.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 1:11
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think 1/4" or 3/8" would be plenty. After all, the backing plates are much thinner than that.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 1:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
the backing plates are formed which gives them alot of strength and they don't really have any load, i've had 1/4 and 3/8 deflect (twist from hard braking and rub full time) i'd either go thick material and machine it or go 1/4 but box the design so all your edges are flanged and boxed, wouldnt hurt to toss in a rib or two if you have a friend with a decent sized press(100 ton or so)

Posted on: 2009/4/9 1:41
metal shaper by trade and hobby
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
None of the brake kits I've ever seen have any sort of ribs or reinforcement of any kind, they all look like this:

Attach file:

jpg  (24.25 KB)
34_49dda2486d2bf.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 2:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
We have done a couple different set-ups like Eric mentioned. We usually use 1/4" plate with no problems. We are currently fabbing up 4-wheel disc for a 51 Kaiser. One thing you have to keep in mind is the e-brake. We have found a caliper that works great in the rear. I plan on doing my 55 Clipper next.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 5:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
by yesterdaysradio on 2009/4/9 4:37:44

BigKev,

I am working on a 1956 Patrician. I am not familiar with the 1954 brake drums. The 56 drums are sheet metal.You have to remove the drum from the hub. Then you bolt the rotor to the back of the hub. It is necessary to make an adapter plate for the caliper. I reconditioned my hubs. All of the necessary components are available, bearing races,front and rear, and bearings. I made a setup to work on spare drums, spindles, knuckles, and steering arms that that I purchased. Tooling had to be constructed in order to machine the components accurately. The steering arm needed a slight bit of clearance.

Now I am working on the brake power booster. Keeping the brake pedal in the original position is a challenging problem, but I think that it is solved. The Electric High Power Master would do the job, but I think that a vacumn booster would look more like the 50's.

Everything is a bolt on.

In my opinion the Treadlevac is a bad brake system.

Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (96.77 KB)
1278_49ef18fb158f7.jpg 1202X730 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 8:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
My '37 115c drums are identical in design to the '56 Patrician I had, and the two '53 Clippers I had. They should be the same design for all years and models, except the "more than 5" bolt patterns on some of the pre-war Senior cars.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 3:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved