Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Resonators
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Several years ago, Steve Williams told me that exhaust resonators came on the 56 Caribbeans and not the 55s.
This conversation came about because I had just installed a new exhaust system on my 55 and it came with the resonators.
Does anyone have any comment?

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Resonators
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Both my '56 Patricians had resonators, if that helps.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 3:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Question is do 55 Pat/400 have them either. Never looked that closely but the resonator is listed as outlet pipe in manual. Different numbers for lower cars but 5580 had a separate number, no mention of 5588 so assume it used the same. 56 has a different number and is listed as 5680-88.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Parts book listings are a bit vague - perhaps because the resonator and its inlet and outlet pipes appear to have been serviced as a welded assembly.

Check the Specifications section of the 1955-56 service manual (which can be downloaded from this site), under the Engine heading. It shows that ALL 1955 and 1956 Packard and Clipper models with a dual exhaust system should have come from the factory with resonators (noted as "silencers") - EXCEPT the 5540 chassis, which was shared between the Clipper Super (5542-5547) and Deluxe (5522) bodies. The 1955 Clipper Deluxe, which was not available with Torsion-Level Suspension, only came with a single exhaust. However, the parts book illustration for single exhaust is shown for the 1956 Clipper Deluxe (5622) and WITH a resonator.

I think some additional confusion arises because somewhere along the line, as the sun set on the factory parts supply chain, tailpipes became available (likely through the aftermarket) for these cars that eliminated the resonator, saving $$$ - an alternative that vendors continue to offer to this day.

I've seen plenty of V8 Packards with those eliminators, but the resonator makes for an incredibly quiet exhaust.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
My 55 pat came with them badly rusted and had them replaced, plenty of room back there

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I have one on my '55 Clipper Super. it's pretty old and beat up..then again so am I.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 12:59
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
none of my three have them, including the 55 pat with 20,000 miles.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One reason may cars don't have them today is that the various vendors who make/supply replacement exhaust systems offer them w/o the resonators because so many folks balked at the additional cost. My old Walker catalog also shows the option of resonator-eliminator pipes and I believe Maremount did as well.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
owen, how long have delete systems been availible? My parts car has been sitting since the mid 80s at least.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 19:02
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't say for sure but the Walker catalog is dated 1964. And I believe Kepich Exhaust and others today continue to offer them with and w/o resonators.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 19:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved