Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bail and feather ornament
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Cornerlot
See User information
Is the bail and feather type ornament found on a 1940 120 unique to the 1940 model year? Or, can the part fitted to 1938-39 cars be used? The published part numbers show the 18th series using a different part than the 16th - 17th series assembly, but that may not be becaue it won't fit or look correct. How about interchange with between differnt models within a model year?

The base is broken on the Goddess ornament on my car, and I would most likely replace it with the standard ornament assembly. I do know you can buy a new base only from America Arrow, at 'only' $290.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/1/14 14:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Bail and feather ornament
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
The 1940 has a longer "tail" which is to say the 1939 (feather or goddess) will fall short of your hood trim, even though the mounting is the same.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Cornerlot
See User information
So, the base that bolts to the grill shell is the same between 1939 and 1940? And, only the goddess or feather is different between the years? It's the base that actually mates against the hood trim strip.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Correct. The bail and feather unit is it's own base, while the goddess bolts to a smooth base in the same shape and mounting arrangement. It mounts through a square hole in the shell, and is friction fit by means of a stack of flat pieces of spring steel pinned to the base. The rear has a square guide slot, and slides into the hood trim strip. I would photo'd the goddess too, but it's cold in the garage.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.57 KB)
1040_496e62b74c941.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/1/14 17:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Bail and feather ornament ... part number?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Cornerlot
See User information
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me the identifing casting PN on the bottom of that base? The entire assembly has a 341855 service part number, but the base apparently wasn't serviced seperately so it's PN does not show up in the parts list. One on eBay now has a 341853 base PN marking, which I suspect is the correct 341855 assembly.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/1/14 23:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Part # on the ornament shown is 341853, and is 12 1/2" long. It is longer than the one on my '39, which is more like 10 1/2" (goddess base). The best thing to do is measure your car from the front "lip" to the hood trim, and determine which you need. If it's 12 1/2", I may be willing to part with the one I have.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Make sure you get the correct length base, as the length is different between the Junior and Senior models.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 8:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Cornerlot
See User information
That's interesting. The goddess base I have now is also 12 1/2" long, like the one pictured. I wouldn't expect any significant differences in the length of the bail cap and goddess bases. If your '39 base is shorter by 2", then perhaps all the '39 bases are different than '40 bases (at least for junior series). The parts list only show one shell per year (i.e. same junior and senior) for the 16th thru 19th series cars.

Send me the condition (chrome, pits, etc.) and asking price in a PM.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/1/15 10:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved