Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Body removal from a 733 sedan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Just when I think I'm almost done removing stuff from my car, I run into a hiccup. This one could be big. I apologize for the length of this post, but it is not easy to describe my problem.

I am trying to remove the brake assembly shafts from the car. The Bijur system may have failed here as well, and so I need to remove it for inspection and cleaning. At least I think I do.

My brother and I have removed the front shaft (pictures of the system can be found in the parts book here on page 7) without problem.

However, there does not appear to be anyway to remove the rear shaft without removing the body. The shaft is wider than the width separating the frame rails, protruding from both sides where arms mount for connection to the rear brakes. We can push the shaft far enough towards to passenger side so the other end will clear the rails horizontally, but we cannot get enough of an angle vertically to clear the rail. The other end hits the body. I have attached a photo and a drawing to show you what I mean.

I think it is necessary for me to either remove the body, or tip it up on the passengers side about 2", to remove the shaft.

My questions:

1) Am I missing something? Is there some trick to removing this shaft.

2) If no, then should I try to just tip the body up on one side, or should I remove it entirely? Removing it entirely will certainly make putting the chassis back together much easier.

3) Any advice on how to accomplish either task, tipping or removal? What should I watch, what is of critical importance, and how would you do this in a two car garage with 8 foot ceilings?

Any and all help will be duly noted and very very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (14.33 KB)
333_4970b223172c6.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (18.72 KB)
333_4970b23c9f8ca.jpg 561X660 px

Posted on: 2009/1/16 11:14
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Body removal from a 733 sedan?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't help with your current problem, but I can't believe that Packard would have designed it so that the body would have to be removed or tilted to service it. All I can suggest is taking a fresh look or having another set of eyes look at it.

Posted on: 2009/1/16 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
One thing is certain: if you pull the body off the frame you will end up doing a lot more work on the chassis because it is so accesable, and will not be again for a long time. We used to use unistrut (well, actually it's lower-priced competetor "B-line")to raise bodies off of frames, it is the channel you see used for mounting electrical conduits and plumbing pipes in construction. It is the grown-up erector set, you can make just about any kind of frame with it possible, there are a gazillion fittings that can be bought to bolt it together in different shapes and patterns. You can construct a simple frame shaped like a roman numeral "II" for lifting to body off of the frame. two long pieces running sideways (perpendicular to the length of the frame) that extend beyond the width of the frame and wheels and two runners going from front to back. You can carefully tip each side up, slide the unistrut under the body, bolt the struts together using the spring nuts and brackets then lift each end with a floor jack, place floor stand jacks under each lateral arm sticking out the sides, place them high enough to clear the frame and you can roll the chassis out from under the suspended body.
You can now buy B-line at Home Depot in the electrical section, they carry the struts (channels) and the common fittings and brackets, which is all you should need. When you are done you can un-bolt all this and store it in your rafters. Do you have any friends in construction? they use this product a lot.

Posted on: 2009/1/16 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, I would be willing to come over and see if my eyes can see anything different. However, you and Charlie are most thorough. Can the shaft be serviced in the car?

Posted on: 2009/1/16 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

I have looked and looked, as has my brother, at this problem. I have also talked with Tom Rassmussen. He points out that the part was installed without a body, and may not have been a regular service item. Also, there is nothing in the service manual or letters that talks about servicing or removing this system (as far as I have found). I will definitely take John up on his offer to come over and look, but for now am planning the body removal.

Mr. PB,

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely look up B-line.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/1/16 11:48
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
the part was installed without a body, and may not have been a regular service item.

That's certainly true, and it was the purpose of Bijur to insure that it wasn't an item that required service. Is the arrangement (minus the power booster) about the same as your 1934 Eight?

Posted on: 2009/1/16 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
just slide it on thru the frame rail and remove from the side????

Posted on: 2009/1/16 13:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi Tom,

I have disassembled it on my car and in order to get the shaft out I did jack the body up on the passenger side.

Since I had the pieces off I had them powder coated. When I went to reassemble them the coater went past the mark I told them to stop at on the shaft so I had to sand it back some in order to reassemble it.

For the life of me I can't recall if I jack the body up when I reinstalled it.

Can't tell by your picture but do you have the brake lever slide as far over to the middle of the shaft as possible.

PackardV8,
That is not possible because the diameter of the shaft is larger in middle then the outer ends.

Posted on: 2009/1/16 13:54
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Tom (Packin31) wrote:
Hi Tom,

I have disassembled it on my car and in order to get the shaft out I did jack the body up on the passenger side.

Since I had the pieces off I had them powder coated. When I went to reassemble them the coater went past the mark I told them to stop at on the shaft so I had to sand it back some in order to reassemble it.

For the life of me I can't recall if I jack the body up when I reinstalled it.

Can't tell by your picture but do you have the brake lever slide as far over to the middle of the shaft as possible.

PackardV8,
That is not possible because the diameter of the shaft is larger in middle then the outer ends.

Tom,

Thanks for the information. I don't see how you could have reinstalled it without jacking the body back up. The brake lever is as close to the middle as it will go.

Dave,

Yes, it appears to be similar to the mechanism on the 34, but not identical.

Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/1/16 14:49
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Tom,

Could you slide the lever off one end?

Boy you think I would of remember....

Posted on: 2009/1/16 15:23
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved