Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 51

ElGroucho, Don 37, Jerry South Africa, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Valve Stems Leaking - Why a tube in a tubeless tire?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
My 54 Packard Clipper Deluxe had a leak in the valve stem so I took the tire to the only place open tonight at 6:30 Firestone and asked for a valve stem they said - not a problem will only be a minute. A minute later they advised that I had a tube in my tire and that I would have to go to a specialty tire place. I pushed back a little and pointed to the words tubeless on the tire and so we took the tire off the rim (a little) and sure enough there was the tube. I said thanks to the guys - they were cool about this and we were all puzzled. So my question is "why put a tube in a tubeless tire? The tire is a "The untouchable by Cooper - tubeless 4 Ply Polyester L78-15 that is rated for 1970 lbs 32 PSI with a 120 treadware - traction 8 - and temp 0. Am I gonna have a hard time finding a tube? thanks all.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.11 KB)
1341_4a6b99fa7cbda.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2009/7/25 18:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve Stems Leaking - Why a tube in a tubeless tire?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I've put tubes in "tubeless" tires myself. There are a couple of reasons you might do so.

1. You have a sidewall cut or puncture that is not repairable. However, you can cement a patch over it and then put a tube in the tire. It will work fine and hold air without stressing the repaired area.

2. Your rims are in bad shape and won't hold a good seal. I've got one like this right now on my '49. Put a tube in that tire and your problem is solved.

Those are two scenarios, but there are probably more.

Jay

Posted on: 2009/7/25 19:06
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks Jay - Makes sense. I found a place in Omaha that looks like it may have the tube I need. Lyles Tire and Wheels. The tire looks in great shape and the wheel look ok. There must have been a good reason in the past why this was done for this tire.

Posted on: 2009/7/25 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There is a third possibility. Some wheels from the early fifties had an odd shaped oval hole for the valve. These require using a special valve or a tube. I don't know if any Packards had this type of wheel but Chryslers do.

Posted on: 2009/7/26 16:50
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I got my '54 it had 4 flat tires. I went to get some cheapo tires to make it a roller again, and I discovered that 3 of the old tires had tubes. I just replaced them with regular tubeless tires. 3 days later 2 of the tires were flat. The problem was that rust scale on the bead surface was keeping the tires from sealing. Long story short, I bead blasted the rims, and painted them inside and out, and now they have held air for over a year without a problem.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 15:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Moving this to the Post War forum.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 15:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks - That's what they told me at the Tire & Wheel shop when I picked the tire up today (too rough for a good seal). Overall for $25 ($15 for the tube & $8 for labor) plus tax -I can't complain. I did learn that the jack that came with the car (bumper jack) doesn't work with alot of weight on it and that my jack from the Dodge Nitro does not provide enough height (without a block of concrete) under it. I would not use a bumper jack on a good shiny bumper (when I get a one). According to the owners manual that's how they jack these cars back up in the old days.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 22:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bumper Jacks are dangerous and a sure way to dent a good bumper. That is why most bumpers of the era are bent up on the bottom edges. Find a jack from a modern truck or large american sedan. That should work just fine.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 22:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The complaint against the original equipment jacks is not new.

A Mechanix Illustrated reader in the 50s asked Tom McCahill why his $5000 car came with a $1 jack.

McCahill replied that the factory must have run out of 50 cent ones.

Even then they were considered inadequate and dangerous. The only excuse I can think of is that by the fifties tires were so reliable that they expected the car never to need the spare or jack. At least while the original purchaser owned it.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wasn't Packard the first U.S. auto manufacturer to offer tubeless tires on its 1954 models? If so the wheels were designed for tubeless tires. The tubes were probably installed because of a bad seal around the bead area like Kevin experienced. I would recommend cleaning the bead area of the wheel in question and remounting the tire without a tube and see what happens. Radial tires require special tubes.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 10:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved