Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 185

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Blue Metallic 1948
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Does anyone have a formula for Packard Blue Metallic in 48. I have even called Dupont to see it they could do a conversion to something new and I do have a solid color combo but I would like the metallic version if anyone has that. FYI the car was already stripped and painted the wrong color before so I cannot just shoot it. But any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/7 9:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Blue Metallic 1948 reply from Dupont
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
From Dupont they say that B 8618 is very close just not metallic. For those who are wondering.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 19:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Blue Metallic 1948
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Please forgive me ,but what did Packard call that color in 1948?Saves me looking it up. Thanks BHW

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see 4 blues listed for 48--3 from ACME chart are.

6428 Packard Blue--very dark almost black consists of Prussian Blue, black, white & luminescence

6432-G Agate Blue--lighter and to me tilts gray consists of India blue, fine luminescence, white, black & green toner

6433 French Blue--the bluest blue which is blue toner,white, black, red oxide & green toner

And from a Dupont supplement issued Feb 49, in Aug 48 202-81344 Coronet blue replaced Agate blue & is black, white, red toned blue, medium light maroon & metallic base. Looks very similar to Agate though.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Packard Blue Metallic it is a dark blue and if I remember right it was a custom color just for Packard's

Posted on: 2009/7/8 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
From what I can tell from color brochures of the dark blue Packard color, it looks really close to my 2002 VW Jetta color, and that's what I'm eventually painting my '48 and also my Speedster. This color is called "Galactic Blue":
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/7/8 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Agate and Coronet are medium slate blue. Be very careful in using modern colors - modern paints tend to use larger and more metallic flakes and "travel" more (change with viewing angle or lighting). The original colors used fine metallic. That said there are some excellent matches available (I've found the 41 colors I needed). I looked at 22nd series colors a while ago, and the hue of Packard Blue is achievable (it is quite dark) but the flake was the trick to an authentic match. If you find the right size you may want it mixed with a little less flake (this will also make the color look darker)

Also, I commend the use of the old mixing formula in a prior post here as a way of understanding the color, NOT how to pigment paint now. Real smart post.

The printed chip charts are pretty much useless as color standards

Posted on: 2009/7/8 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Interesting thing happened today. I stopped at the auto parts store today to see about the VW color that was suggested. In talking with the manager about that color he said had a pearl in it. And that wouldn't be original. I being a purest I wanted something more like the original color. So he called PPG and asked for the historical department. He asked them if they had the Packard samples and after talking a bit I noticed a smile come over his face. What happened is that PPG has samples that were sent to them by Packard what they did was take a Photo of them and sent the formula to the auto parts store. Now that was good customer service.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I don't know if what I'm about to say is true or not

That is, I know that I'm telling the truth about what I know, but I don't know if the facts are straight or not.

When I got my '49 painted at Earl Scheib I chose their Deep Blue Metallic. Close comparison with the paint chips I had told me that it was a very close match to the original Packard metallic blue. Whether it is or not is probably debatable, but it is at least very close and came out looking very good for a $400 paint job!

Posted on: 2009/7/9 19:23
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
For some reason non stock paints never look right especially if they come from a different decade.

Most colors can be furnished by the major paint companies, as far back as the 1920s. All you need is the original name or code so they can look it up.

Your local parts store will not have the formula but they can get it from the head office. Overnight if not sooner.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 19:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved