Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 22 »

Re: Packard Monte Carlo
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I no longer believe - not even for a NY minute - that the car up for sale and only partially shown in these few recent images is the surviving 23rd Series Monte Carlo.

I'll gladly admit my error if proven wrong, but I bet that PT Barnum would be smiling in his grave over this one.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I could see someone getting a car like that back in the day and cutting the roof off to make what was then the more desirable convertible.Again this is all speculation.A full set of pictures might tell us a lot more.I would like to see the full front and rear of the car.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The long-standing story was that the 23rd series Monte Carlo was "destroyed". I always took that literally but an alternative meaning could be that it was mutilated but still existed in part.

Perhaps that's the story in this case, but I'd have to see A LOT more proof to be convinced. Perhaps the fact that no more photos have been forthcoming tells the story.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 9:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

koolkojak
See User information
I know where one of these Packard Monte Carlos is for sale, in Masschusetts .

Posted on: 2012/10/13 20:15
1951 Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
BH wrote:
Looking at these pix of the Balboa, it is clear that this was going to be a non-removable roof.

However, it looks like the opening for the backlight is a channel rather than a flange. From the shot looking in through the interior, the angle of the channel relative to the wheelhouse, suggests that that they might very well have been able to make the glass go down (rather than be fixed). The only remaining question would be one of structural integrity with such a feature - might have resulted in a lot of shaking over rough roads.

Never can tell what's out there, whether from the factory skunk works and never photographed, or a strange one-off by a parts-bin diver who had some extra time after his factory shift. However, I think I can state unequivocally that the Balboa shown in factory pics NEVER had a roll-down rear window. How is it going to clear the X brace and the fender wells? Not going to happen.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 22:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure that Monte Carlo is still there, I'm quite sure it was sold a couple of months ago, and I've recently seen it on a transporter heading south. It was purchased by a major player who wishes to remain quiet about it for the moment.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

koolkojak wrote:
I know where one of these Packard Monte Carlos is for sale, in Masschusetts .

So many people "know things" but they aren't telling. The proof is in the pics. Unless you DON'T want to keep it a secret, why post? Just PM somebody you think might be interested.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 22:42
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
However, I think I can state unequivocally that the Balboa shown in factory pics NEVER had a roll-down rear window. How is it going to clear the X brace and the fender wells? Not going to happen.

I didn't say that the Balboa had a roll-down rear window, but only that such a feature might have been accomplished with some additional work.

Go back that post with the pix of the roof construction and study the angle of that channel a little more closely - namely the view of the rear of the cabin interior, looking through driver's door opening.

Looks to me like the plane of the reverse-sloping channel, if extended downward along the same angle, would lie ahead of the X-brace. If you print that pic and lay a scale in line with the side of that channel and extend its line, it appears to just clear the front of the wheel tub. Also, I doubt if the bottom of the rear glass would have needed to travel any further than the bottom of the X-brace.

However, only those who laid hands on the car during its recent restoration could tell us for sure, now.

Still, the devil is always in the details, which - all told - may have proven to be more of an obstacle than the time and budget allowed, back then. The rear window on the actual concept vehicle, as executed, is held in a fixed position, but the factory-issued Balboa brochure, which is available for downloading from the P'Info archive for your inspection, states the rear window could be lowered. While that claim may have been a bit premature, it clearly goes to intent.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
Ralph Marano now owns both surviving 1952/53 Monte Carlo's , see link below: I wonder if this now-restored two tone blue car was the one from Atlanta of the one that was found in Mass?

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=117118

Posted on: 2014/3/25 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The Atlanta Monte Carlo is still un-restored. It is so bad a parts car is being sought. Anyone know of one?

Posted on: 2014/3/25 12:18
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved