Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Stuck in reverse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Dropped the pan and found metal shavings and a few things loose. Will see what we have tomorrow. Thanks for your prompt replys. These old girls can quickly change from a shiny toy to a traffic hazard.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 20:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm hoping the metal shavings are off the control lever threads. If not, then-----. The pot metal was a weak point. As Randy mentioned, he drilled the shaft. Others drilled both and had a roll pin inserted. There is/was also a reproduction lever made from brass by one of the regions. If someone knows if that is still available, think it would be a good move.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You will likely find that the little sheetmetal stop on the shift lever inside the tranny turned or bent out of the way and the shifter went "too far" into reverse. This has caused the selector valve to come out past the detents. It will not go back into the detents unless you push the little detent plungers back into their bores while inserting the selector valve.
Pinning the selector lever to the shaft with a roll pin is a good idea. I also drill the set screw hole clean through the shaft and tap it 5/16 fine thread clean through. I then install a bolt with a star washer to keep the stop from migrating.

Just in passing, push button owners who don't always get the gear you have selected--chances are this same lever is loose in your tranny and should be pinned in place.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"EDIT Put rear wheels on wheel dollys and tow forward. Don't tow any distance with front wheels only on pavement"

Why not?????

Posted on: 2009/8/4 21:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This was a topic of a lot of discussion in various forums and publications that the weight and change in geometry on the front suspension caused by the front down puts enough strain on the pitman arm to crack it at the steering box splines. It seems to have been a TL issue, not the older cars. Possibly because the suspension has less resistance & can travel further bottomed out than a conventional suspension.

When in the normal position, there is not enough force--even when stationary--applied to do any damage by the normal steering etc but when towed at speed, and the front wheels kept from moving by the usual means of tying the steering wheel the increased leverage by the arm length, upward pressure of the tie rods and linkage plus the inertia of a turn does the damage.

Whether is is a proven fact or not, why take a chance.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks. I was not aware of that. So it was a DESIGN problem specific to the TL Packards. Is that correct?

Posted on: 2009/8/4 22:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure I'd call it a design problem but more an accumulation of coincidences.

The consensus seemed to be with nose down and the rear wheels being able to drop allowed the torsion bars to relax enough so with the weight, front wheel rode the upper stops. This placed a fair amount of upward strain on the pitman arm thru the linkage and with the wheels not being in the normal caster/camber relationship placed a large amount of lateral thrust on as well.

Like I said, proven or not, why take a chance.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Figured it out...Ross, you hit it right on the money, the sheetmetal "stopper" came loose causing the damn thing to come out, got er back in by moving the plungers and am going to have to put the stopper in tighter this time. At least my pan is clean now, hopefully its going to be good.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
About those broken pitman arms: this can happen on any power steering equipped 53-56 when towed backwards without the engine running. Culprit is the steering valve on the end of the pitman arm. With no pressure from the pump there is a good deal of play in the valve. When towed backwards the front wheels can start a back and forth shimmy like a caster on a bad shopping cart, but with enough force that on a long fast tow it will fatigue the pitman arm clean off. TL cars are more prone because the front suspension will settle to its stops when the back is raised which gives more toe-out in the backwards direction, increasing the chance of shimmy. You don't notice any of this in the tow truck until the front of the Patrician comes around and passes you. Use a rollback.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Ross. That applies to BOTH Bendix and monroe Power steering????? I've noticed that play to mention in mine when the car is up on stands.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 21:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved